Memories. . .

We have some fun news but NOTHING like this post! More on that tomorrow!
Here is an email that is an incredible memory!
Feb 20, 2005
Well, first I want to thank you all for your warm wishes and prayers. I would have to say I am more confident this time simply because I know the way of the preemie and things don't seem to be as scary the 2nd time around.
The birth story: So at my Dr's. apt. on Monday I did not have a good Non stress test (where they monitor Ava's heart beat) and I knew I was going back to the hospital before they did an ultrasound or even talking to the Dr., Ava did get an 8/10 on her Biophysical Profile (ultrasound test) but had absent diastolic flow in her umbilical cord.
So they admitted me to the Labor and Delivery for constant monitoring. Blood pressure was a little high but no protein in my urine. Of course that night I didn't sleep very well, so many people checking on me. The next day Ava got a 6/10 on her BPP because she wouldn't breathe for 30 seconds only 10. But that score was enough to keep her in. While being monitored she had some dips here and there that were kind of concerning but nothing to start cutting my belly yet.
On Tuesday night, Jim had brought his overnight bag but I said go home nothings going to happen. I finally get to sleep about 1030 and about 1230 there was a party in my room of Dr's. and nurses. Ava had had a 6 min heart rate drop. Off to surgery we go. One of the residents called Jim and my dad. But couldn't get hold of Jim. My dad continued calling and finally Jim's mom decided to call the police. The police had to come inside the house and up to the bedroom to wake Jim up. A sound sleeper he is.
At 1:08 am Wednesday February 16, 2005 our little wonder child Ava Elise was born. She didn't need the ventilator and was breathing room air. She weighed 1pound 6 ounces and was 12 3/4 inches long. They put her on C-Pap for about 24 hours and then weaned her to humidified air. She was also on the Bili lights to treat jaundice for about 24 hours but is off that too.
Currently she is on 1/4 liter air on room air, TPN (nutrition) and that's it. She is getting 4 ccs of breast milk every 3 hours. Seriously she is amazing. I don't have to tell you all that we are cautiously optimistic as tomorrow might bring complications etc. But if she continues in this direction we may be bringing home a teeny baby with no attachments.
Olivia came home at 6 pounds with Oxygen and a monitor. Ava is a pretty feisty little girl. She has a big cry and lets her nurses know if things aren't going her way. Also a difference from her big sister who rarely cries and is so adaptable. I guess I deserve that after having easy going Olivia. Here is a picture of our little puppy wonder child!
I just came home from the hospital today and I'm feeling OK considering I just had major surgery. My mom is coming up tomorrow to take care of me and see Ava. Olivia is having vacation with her grandparents in Oklahoma. I'm sure she is being spoiled and I hope she misses me. We will update you every step of the way!
Hi Kari, I am a friend of your Aunt Sara's and remembered that you had preemies. We are 21 weeks pregnant and losing fluid. We are scared but hopeful that I can hold her in a few more weeks. I would love some advice! Sara has my addy! Your girls are totally cute!
ReplyDelete