On Saturday I went to the NICU where Olivia used to "live" for a get together with current parents. The alumni parents have a group to support those currently enjoying the NICU roller coaster. The new NICU is so beautiful and every baby has their own room. My friend Susie and I talked to many parents and had a great time. Who would have thought just 4 years ago I had no idea that one day I might become an "expert" on the NICU.
We talked to several parents who were close to the end of the ride and asked us about oxygen and monitors. They were so sweet when they expressed their utter apprehension. My advice: You never would have thought you could do 3 months in the NICU and now you are pros. The thought of lugging around extra equipment is scary but you will do it for your baby's sake. Truth be told I would/did anything to get my girls home. I think it is quite amazing what we are capable of and what we do for our children.
As we left we gave hugs and encouragement. Our group is doing a Christmas party but we told the parents that we didnt want to see them when we came back. Hopefully they will be spending time with their babies at home! We had a great time!
Monday, November 05, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That sounds like a great program that the NICU offers. I loved looking at the "graduate" wall when I went to visit my preemie-nieces & nephew. I'm sure my sister could have benefited by talking to parents such as yourself who had been through the same thing with some experience behind them.
ReplyDeleteKari, you are so good at what you do! I am so proud of you, and so glad that new, scared and apprehensive parents have someone like you to encourage them. What a blessing.
ReplyDeleteYou are awesome. I am proud of you for helping other parents. It is absolutely amazing to me that it has been over 2 years since you have been there yourself. Your girls are so wonderful and have come so far!!! I love you. P.S. Your blog made me tear up, that's how proud of you I am.
ReplyDeleteWhat an awesome thing you're doing Kari! Like Barbara said, I used to love looking at the graduate wall while I was there. It always gave me so much hope. Although we didn't have the benefit of talking to other preemie parents when we were there, so many of our nurses had babies in that same NICU.
ReplyDeleteAnd like you said about the oxygen and monitors...I think back now to how much I lugged around with Caitlyn and wonder how my back survived it.