The bus

Tomorrow I am putting my little 1 1/2 pounder on the bus for Kindergarten. Where has time gone?
Let me back up. I used to be a high school teacher. I will never forget the day before my first day of being a REAL teacher. I looked at those empty desks and thought about the possibilities. I am not going to lie, I was terrified in a cool way of course.
I taught for 8 years. I taught until the day I went I bed rest almost 6 years ago. That day was a sad one because I loved teaching. What would happen to my students? It all worked out and in their place, I had a beautiful tiny little girl to take care of.
When I saw her for the first time, I thought she was beautiful. In truth she was the size of a ruler with a tennis ball head and super red skin. More than that she was healthier than her brother. A major victory for sure.
Through Olivia's course in the hospital, we got a fairly devastating diagnosis. The worst type of brain bleed for little babies. The kind that bring death, Cerebral palsy or all kinds of mental issues. No matter what she was my little girl and I would do whatever I needed for her.
Back to the bus. The first school year after Olivia was born, hearing the bus pick up the neighborhood children was a bit sad for me. I had always loved the start of school and school life was going on without me. I realized that my life was full of other awesome milestones.
This year that bus is stopping for me, I mean my little miracle Olivia. The little girl that has little to no signs of that diagnosis. The little girl who loves to read and write. I guess in some sense my life has come full circle and I am on the other side of the desk.
I can almost remember my first day of Kindergarten like it was yesterday. I know Olivia is ready for school and I know she will love the bus.
One more thing I know; I will probably cry tomorrow but not until she gets on the bus!
Let me back up. I used to be a high school teacher. I will never forget the day before my first day of being a REAL teacher. I looked at those empty desks and thought about the possibilities. I am not going to lie, I was terrified in a cool way of course.
I taught for 8 years. I taught until the day I went I bed rest almost 6 years ago. That day was a sad one because I loved teaching. What would happen to my students? It all worked out and in their place, I had a beautiful tiny little girl to take care of.
When I saw her for the first time, I thought she was beautiful. In truth she was the size of a ruler with a tennis ball head and super red skin. More than that she was healthier than her brother. A major victory for sure.
Through Olivia's course in the hospital, we got a fairly devastating diagnosis. The worst type of brain bleed for little babies. The kind that bring death, Cerebral palsy or all kinds of mental issues. No matter what she was my little girl and I would do whatever I needed for her.
Back to the bus. The first school year after Olivia was born, hearing the bus pick up the neighborhood children was a bit sad for me. I had always loved the start of school and school life was going on without me. I realized that my life was full of other awesome milestones.
This year that bus is stopping for me, I mean my little miracle Olivia. The little girl that has little to no signs of that diagnosis. The little girl who loves to read and write. I guess in some sense my life has come full circle and I am on the other side of the desk.
I can almost remember my first day of Kindergarten like it was yesterday. I know Olivia is ready for school and I know she will love the bus.
One more thing I know; I will probably cry tomorrow but not until she gets on the bus!
How are you doing?? Are you holding up??
ReplyDeleteToday I am fine but tomorrow is another day.
ReplyDeleteHow did it go today?
ReplyDeleteCry when she gets on the bus!!?? I can't even think about it! I'm just a melted snowball. I think, "What if she falls?" "What if some kid is not nice to her?" "What if she gets lost?" And any and all sundry things. This is miserable. Oh, well, talking to her tonight helped me a lot. She is so very excited. Still...I'm a basket case.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great milestone. Those rough starts make every victory that much sweeter!
ReplyDeleteOlivia will be such a great student. I hope she has a fun first day. Andrew wishes the bus would come take him to preschool. Good luck tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteHow amazing, that tiny one on the "cookie tray" (as Jim called it)—whose eyes always sparkled—is now big enough to leap onto that big yellow bus! And she has the same excitement for learning as her mommy. I can't wait to see the picts.
ReplyDeleteDear God, bless her and all the ones leaping on the bus and their mommies, too.
OH my! Kari! This is beautiful! Made me cry! Seriously! Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDelete