Saturday, October 17, 2009

Medical Emergencies

The last 4 weeks have involved a few things I feel like I need to document, you know for posterity. (According to Merriam-Webster, posterity means for all future generations.)

On September 16, it was a normal day. In fact it was the first day for Ava to have lunch bunch. Which meant that Olivia and I would have an hour for just the two of us. I probably should have told Olivia that because she spent the hour crying because she missed Ava.

That night the girls in true girl fashion had a fight and apparently Ava pushed Olivia off the kitchen bar stool. Olivia was crying and I immediately say, "You're alright!" When I walked in the kitchen I saw huge drops of blood on the floor and thought things are not alright. I got a paper towel to put on the injury which appeared to be the chin. It looked like a huge gaping hole. I've learned the amazing super powers that moms acquire when emergencies happen. Somehow I just knew what to do. That night ended with 6 stitches. I did tell Olivia "I told you I would get my alone time with you." She said "Sorry about that Mom!"

Flash forward a month: I was making potato soup for the girls and me. I was so excited about it because it was just a perfect night for it. Ava loves to help in the kitchen and had the bar stool up to the stove. Apparently she lost her balance and reached out for the pot of soup. She fell and took the pot with her. It scared me very badly. Again the super powers, (i.e. God) took over. I put her in the bath tub and showered her off while I was calling 911. The night went so very quickly. The paramedics, firefighters and police came very quickly. They determined that she just had 1st degree burns but we were advised to take her to the ER to have her checked out. A long wait in the ER and we just needed neosporin. I am so thankful she was OK because it could have been so much worse!

I wish I had an amazing ending to these stories but I guess I do. I felt God very strongly and my babies are OK. My little teeny girls who haven't needed to return to the hospital since their long hospitalization at birth. They definitely have the hand of God on them as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment